Blog Title with Boarder

Blog Updates as the Smiths minister the Gospel in Peru

Monday, July 31, 2006

Setting the Day Right in Morning Prayer

bonhoefferIf you are like me, you might struggle with disciplined, consistent morning prayer. I have been reading Dietrich Bonhoeffer little book, Psalms: The Prayer Book of the Bible, where he addresses this issue of morning prayer. His quote is well worth considering:

The morning determines the day. Squandered time of which we are ashamed, temptations to which we succumb, weaknesses and lack of discipline in work, disorganzation...in our thoughts and in our conversations with other men, all have their origin most often in the neglect of morning prayer.

Order and distribution of our time become more firm where they originate in prayer. Temptations which accompany the working day will be conquered on the basis of the morning breakthrough to God. Decisions, demanded by work, become easier and simplier where they are made not in fear of mean but only in the sight of God...Even mechanical work is done in a more patient way if it arises from the recognition of God and his command. The powers to work take hold, therefore, at the place where we have prayed to God. He wants to give us today the power which we need for our work."

Interestingly, Bonhoeffer wrote this from a Nazi cell. I have prayed for myself, my family, my mission team, and my supporters that we will all have the desire and discipline to set the day right in morning prayer. My hope is that this will become your prayer too.

3 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Allen,

Please pray for Michelle and I too. Thank you for the exhortation.

Grace to you,

jem

8/02/2006 06:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff, Allen!! Your sentiments are right on, and I plan to pray and seek the same motivation and discipline in for me and my family...

That Bonhoeffer is something else, isn't he!!!

8/22/2006 01:51:00 PM  
Blogger a likens said...

I love this. Thank you for sharing.

8/26/2006 09:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Free Hit Counter