Blog Title with Boarder

Blog Updates as the Smiths minister the Gospel in Peru

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Quick Ministry Update

So it has been over a month since we last blog; indicative of how our life has been. The Hebrew class has been going well. Professor Guillermo is back, and I'm breathing much deeper. For the month of October, I spent nearly 16 hours preparing for each class! It was a good time to brush up on my Hebrew as well as improve my Spanish. Each morning we started off singing the "Shema", the Jewish creed from Deuteronomy 6:4, which states: "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!"

Also, I have been continuing the Westminster Shorter Catechism Project. Hopefully within a year or two, the Lord will allow me to set each of the Shorter Catechisms to songs suited for children. At the Arévalo Church I have formed an experienmental Catechism Choir to see how the tunes land with the children. I know of no better way to present the gospel than through the catechisms. They will systematically hide in their hearts truths about who God is, what their duty is to Him, what does the Bible teach, who Christ is, to name a few.

Jamie CastilloAnother minister in our churches, Jamie Castillo, recently presented me with us plan for VBS. He wants to use as catechism songs as possible along with teaching them Greek and Hebrew! And he does not want a week long VBS, instead a two month long VBS. When he first shared this idea to me, I thought probably what you are thinking right now, "That's crazy!" When I expressed this sentiment to him, he said, "We always speakly highly about covenant children, but when it comes to teaching them we put them last, expecting the lest out of them. I do not know if my idea for VBS will work, but we should at least give it a try." Amen! So during school vacations, February & March, I will follow William Carey's advice: "Attempt great things for God and except great things from God."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Free Hit Counter